Welcome to the Rubato Music Therapy Blog!
A resource for music therapists, music educators, and other professionals who work with individuals with intellectual disabilities, as well as their families and care providers.
For those of us music educators and music therapists who work at day programs, after-school programs, other nonprofits, private studios, or private practices, the process of rolling out virtual services isn't necessarily clear or defined. Even in many K-12 schools and colleges, teachers and administrators are struggling to determine policies for online learning. What do we do, in these unprecedented times?
Part 1 of this series discusses considerations when planning for virtual services.
What are the POSSIBILITIES & NEEDS?
1) Are student-clients (and their families/caregivers) interested in virtual services?
2) Would they benefit from continuity, social stimulation, and opportunities for growth? Or would they benefit from a break?
3) Are they experiencing financial insecurity? (if they are private pay)
1) What kind of technology do student-clients have?
3) Do they have limited minutes/texts/data?
4) Do they have access to the Internet?
5) What days and times are they available?
*6) Do they have a webcam and microphone?
1) Do student-clients need assistance with technology?
2) If so, are family members or caregivers available and willing to help them?
3) What apps are student-clients (or their families/caregivers) comfortable using?
What is my PURPOSE?
1) What technology do I have? (refer above)
2) Do I want to provide real-time services, pre-recorded services, or a combination of both?
3) Do I want to provide virtual services in a 1:1 setting, a group setting, or a combination of both?
4) Do I want student-clients to be able to engage in back and forth interactions with each other over video, audio, photo, text, or a combination of the above?
5) What types of classes or interventions would work well virtually?
1) Do I want virtual services to be public, restricted to certain participants, or a combination of both?
2) Do I need to use a HIPAA-compliant app/platform?
3) What information do I need to include on a consent form?
What are my BOUNDARIES?
1) How much time and energy do I have for virtual services?
2) How much time and energy do my student-clients have for virtual services?
1) How can student-clients contact me?
2) When can student-clients contact me?
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.
Kirstie Gallacher-Ang, MT-BC